DEL (Diploma in English Language) is a one-year program which is divided into two semesters each of which is six months. The expected outcome of this one-year program is intended for enhancement of the English Language capacity of intermediate students of English and for enabling students to carry out effective, successful verbal and written communication in English Language. Furthermore, they would play a dynamic and constructive role in routine activities for the accomplishment of the desired goals of the organization.
The course syllabus is designed based on student’s need assessments of intermediate learners in English language. Following the need assessment process undertaken, the outlined course syllabus categorized is in the following sequence for the one semester.
In both of the semester the English Language learners are taught four essentials aspects of English language.
- The Grammar Section
- The Reading and Vocabulary Section
- The Writing Section
- The Listening Section
- The Speaking Section
- The Grammar Section:(Fundamentals of English Language) and (Using and Understanding English Grammar) are the text/ reference books designed for the grammar sections of DEL. The following outlines show the contents of the grammar section.
- The Reading and Vocabulary Section: Likewise the reading and vocabulary section in CEL, DEL’s reading and vocabulary section is also composed of reading passages which are selected from most reliable sources. A vocabulary booklet is attached to the reading chapter which explains the words, phrases and expressions appear in the reading passages. Here are the contents.
- The Writing Section: The writing section is one of the important aspect of DEL. In this section students are taught different kinds of paragraphs, letters and so on designed from the very basic to intermediate and upper intermediate. The following outline introduces the contents of this section.
- The Listening Section: Following the tactic series for listening, the (Developing Tactics and Expanding Tactics for Listening) are taught in the listening sections which are rich of practical listening activities. These are the outlines.
- The Speaking Section: In the Speaking section which is one of the most important aspect of any language, the lecturer assigns different kinds of individual and group discussions to enable the students to talk on different topics.
DEPARTMENT OF ENGLISH
CURRENT CURRICULUM DEL ( Curriculum )
|1||CEL||Basics of English Grammar||Betty SchrampferAzar||Second Edition|
|2||CEL||Effective Reading Passages||Naeem Khalid & Waheed Afghan||First Edition|
|3||CEL||Listening Tactics||Jack C. Richards||Second Edition|
|4||DEL 1 semester||Fundamentals of English Grammar||Betty SchrampferAzar||Second Edition|
|5||DEL 1 semester||Effective Reading Passages||Naeem Khalid & Waheed Afghan||First Edition|
|6||DEL 1 semester||Effective Writing||Waheed Afghan||First Edition|
|7||DEL 1 semester||Vocabulary Building||Waheed Afghan||First Edition|
|8||DEL 1 semester||Listening Tactics ( Developing )||Jack C. Richards||First Edition|
|9||DEL 2 Semester||Effective Reading Passages||Naeem Khalid & Waheed Afghan||First Edition|
|10||DEL 2 Semester||Effective Writing||Waheed Afghan||First Edition|
|11||DEL 2 Semester||Vocabulary Building||Waheed Afghan||First Edition|
|12||DEL 2 Semester||Listening Tactics (Expanding)||Jack C. Richards||First Edition|
Remarks:Spoken English and Technical Writingsubjects are taught based on particularly designed outline in first and second semesterof DEL, while CEL as programmed especially for middle level English learning students, doesn’t contain Technical Writing instead that Listening Comprehension is taught.